* Centre-back Federico Fernandez smashed home a rebound two minutes from time as goal-shy Newcastle United came back from one goal down to beat visitors Southampton 2-1 in their Premier League clash on Sunday (Dec 8).
* Leicester City set a club record of eight successive top flight wins after two goals from Jamie Vardy helped them to an impressive 4-1 Premier League victory at Aston Villa on Sunday.
* Wolverhampton Wanderers stretched their unbeaten Premier League run to 11 games after they led and then came from behind to secure a 2-2 draw at Brighton & Hove Albion in a pulsating encounter on Sunday (Dec 8).
* Real Betis captain Joaquin Sanchez wrote himself into the history books on Sunday with a treble against Athletic Bilbao which meant he became the oldest player to score a hat-trick in La Liga 38).
* Real Sociedad clung on to fourth place in La Liga but saw their two-point advantage over nearest challengers Getafe wiped out after being held to a goalless draw away to Real Valladolid on Sunday.
* Sevilla slipped further behind La Liga pacesetters Barcelona and Real Madrid on Sunday after being held to a 1-1 draw away to Osasuna, who played the final third of the game with 10 men following the sending-off of Oier Sanjurjo.
* Genoa’s veteran striker Goran Pandev scored a remarkable goal from near the halfway line but turned villain in the second half when he was booked twice in four minutes and sent off in a dramatic 2-2 draw at Lecce on Sunday.
* Fiorentina’s miserable season continued on Sunday when Torino beat them 2-1 in their fourth successive defeat in Serie A.
* AC Milan defender Theo Hernandez scored at both ends and gave away a penalty as his side won 3-2 at Bologna in a dramatic Serie A match on Sunday.
* Forward Mario Balotelli gave struggling Brescia a 1-0 win at SPAL to lift them off the bottom of the Serie A table on Sunday as Eugenio Corini took charge of the team again little more than a month after being sacked.
* Bahrain clinched the Arabian Gulf Cup title for the first time with a 1-0 victory over Saudi Arabia in the final on Sunday.
* Marseille kept pace with Ligue 1 leaders Paris Saint-Germain on Sunday (Dec 8) after coming from behind to beat Bordeaux 3-1 and rack up a sixth straight win that keeps them five points behind the champions.