* Dutch starlet Matthijs de Ligt won the Kopa Trophy for the best player aged under 21 at the Ballon d’Or awards ceremony in Paris on Monday (Dec 2), while Liverpool star Alisson won the inaugural Yashin Trophy for the best goalkeeper.
* United States World Cup icon Megan Rapinoe won the women’s Ballon d’Or prize at an awards ceremony in Paris on Monday (Dec 2).
* Liverpool will face local rivals Everton in the FA Cup third round while non-league side AFC Fylde will travel to Premier League outfit Sheffield United after Monday’s (Dec 2) draw.
* Chances of a joint UK and Irish bid to host the 2030 World Cup have grown after officials agreed to ramp up preparations, according to the general manager of the Football Association of Ireland (FAI).
* Watford Under-23 coach Hayden Mullins will take charge of the team for Wednesday’s Premier League game against Leicester City with the club yet to find a replacement for the sacked Quique Sanchez Flores.
* Tennis great Roger Federer is to become the first living Swiss to have a coin minted in their honour, with a commemorative 20 franc (15.64 pounds) silver piece bearing his image being issued in January.
* Hawaii’s Carissa Moore won her fourth world surfing title on Monday, finishing third in the final event of the 2019 World Championship Tour and booking a berth for surfing’s Olympics debut in Tokyo next year in the process.