* Olivier Giroud has signed a new one-year contract with Chelsea to extend his stay at Stamford Bridge until the end of next season, the Premier League club said on Tuesday.
* Liverpool striker Roberto Firmino is on course to be fit for the Champions League final against Tottenham after returning to training during the club’s break in Marbella. Firmino missed Liverpool’s last three Premier League matches due to a thigh injury.
* Tottenham have given “indefinite” bans to three fans who tried to sell their tickets for the Champions League final against Liverpool. Three Tottenham season-ticket holders listed the seats for the showpiece at the Wanda Metropolitano stadium in Madrid on a secondary market site.
* Arsenal goalkeeper Petr Cech will return to his former club Chelsea as sporting director when he retires from playing after the teams meet in this month’s Europa League final, Sky Sports News and other British media reported on Tuesday.
* Fiorentina coach Vincenzo Montella will miss the last match of the season against Genoa, which will determine whether his team will be relegated, following a two-game ban imposed by the league’s disciplinary committee on Tuesday.
* A gutsy young Malaysian side missing ailing legend Lee Chong Wei recovered from 2-1 down to beat India 3-2 and all but qualify for badminton’s Sudirman Cup quarter-finals on Tuesday.
* Alaves appointed Asier Garitano as coach on Tuesday after Abelardo left at the end of his contract. Garitano, who took Leganes into La Liga in 2016, joined Real Sociedad last summer but was sacked in December after eight defeats in 17 league games.
* Top-seeded German Alexander Zverev breezed through his first match at the Banque Eric Sturdza Geneva Open in Switzerland on Tuesday, downing Latvia’s Ernests Gulbis 6-2, 6-1 in just 66 minutes to reach the quarterfinals.
* Ashleigh Barty’s French Open preparations suffered a blow on Tuesday when a right arm injury forced the Australian’s withdrawal from the Strasbourg International.