* Injury-hit Real Madrid snatched a 2-1 victory at Real Betis on Sunday, earning their first La Liga win of the year thanks to a late free kick from substitute Dani Ceballos to return to the top four.
* Napoli striker Arkadiusz Milik scored one goal and provided an assist for another as his side beat Sassuolo 2-0 in a niggly Coppa Italia round of 16 tie on Sunday.
* Olympique de Marseille’s poor run continued as they were held to a 1-1 Ligue 1 draw by fellow strugglers AS Monaco in a tense atmosphere at the Stade Velodrome on Sunday.
* Everton avoided a third consecutive Premier League home defeat as Kurt Zouma’s header and a late goal by Dominic Calvert-Lewin earned them a flattering 2-0 victory over Bournemouth at a rainy Goodison Park on Sunday.
* Sevilla’s hopes of staying in the La Liga title race faded further with a 2-0 defeat on Sunday at struggling Athletic Bilbao, who boosted their chances of survival with two wonderful goals from Inaki Williams.
* Mats Hummels converted the decisive spot-kick on Sunday (Jan 13) as Bayern Munich beat Borussia Moenchengladbach in a penalty shoot-out to win a Bundesliga warm-up tournament after a 0-0 draw.
* Antonio Candreva and Lautaro Martinez scored two goals apiece as Inter Milan thumped Benevento 6-2 on Sunday in a Coppa Italia match played behind closed doors following racist insults aimed at Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly last month.
* Local shuttler Loh Kean Yew notched a sensational victory after he beat two-time Olympic singles champion Lin Dan 21-19,21-18 to win the Thailand Masters finals on Sunday (Jan 13).